Australia is one of the most sovereign countries in the world, which is located on the Australian continent. It is the major country of the Australian continent and is made of Tasmania and other such islands, which make it the world’s sixth-largest country by the total land area.
The country is considered as one of the top developed countries in the world and is having the 14th largest economy of the world. You can witness the modern infrastructure in the country in its various domains including the education.
MBBS in Australia – Overview
Education is the core part of the country since the country has its focus on educational development, which in results makes the country as one of those nations which have the higher per capita income brackets.
There are top-class international educational institutions in Australia, which attract foreign students from all around the world. MBBS in Australia for the Indian medical aspirants has always been a decent option but this option comes subject to the various other aspects.
Here in this article, we are going to provide you with the full information of attaining the medical education from Australia along with the facts and myths, so that you can consider this country as per your own requirements for the MBBS admission.
MBBS from Australia :
1) Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students
Well, it’s a well-known fact that if you want to study medicine in Australia, then you must be having some financial freedom with you since the country is one of the most lavished countries in the world.
Moreover, you must make yourself aware of the admission eligibility criteria of the Australia medical Universities, which you can check out here below in the article.
- The candidate from any country can make admission application, who is a minimum age of 17 years.
- The candidate must have qualified the senior secondary education from any recognised board of education.
- Indian candidates must be having the mandatory subjects of Physics, Chemistry and Biology in their 10+2 stream.
- The language proficiency test such as IELTS is mandatory for foreign medical aspirants.
- UMAT is the other mandatory test which must be undertaken by all the aspirants.
- NEET is the other mandatory exam for the Indian candidates.
2) How to Apply For Medical Courses
If you are an Indian MBBS aspirant and want to study MBBS from Australia, then you must follow the admission process in the right manner to make sure that you get your admission there.
First of all, make sure that you are the eligible candidate to follow up the admission process and the eligibility criteria can be checked in the above section of the article.
- Make sure that you are having the valid certificate of 10+2 qualification in the mandatory science stream/ or the bachelor degree in the science stream.
- You must take the UMAT/MCAT/ GAMSAT any of these exams in case if you are an international student.
- You will be then called up for the Interview sessions where you will get your final call regarding the admission.
You should keep it in your mind that you must be having all the right set of documents with you in the course of the admission and submit the documents within the valid window to the institution.
The academic year of the Australian medical Universities start from the January of each year and if you want to take admission into the particular academic year, then you must submit your documents by the end of September month last year if you delay it then your admission form will be processed for the next academic year of the University.
3) Document Required for Admission in Medical Schools
Getting the medical degree from Australia is no longer a dream for anyone since you can make sure your admission there in your desired medical institution of the country just if you have all the required documents with you and you satisfy the eligibility criteria for the admission.
Here are the documents which you must keep with you if you want to study MBBS in Australia.
- A valid certificate of your senior secondary education or the bachelor degree to prove your valid academics
- Your qualification of MCAT/UMAT/GAMSAT exams.
- A valid passport and visa copies.
- NEET qualification certificate for the Indian candidates.
- Passport size photos.
- Character and transfer certificates
- A bank solvency certificate.
4) Course Duration For Studying Medicine
Well, the medical Universities in Australia offer the typical duration of 6 years for its MBBS program just like any other medical institutions in the world. The program is comprised of the 5 years academics or the theoretical classes of the medicine and the last 1 year is allocated to the internship session.
Through the internship session, the students go through the rigours practical sessions to test their knowledge of medicine on the practical basis, moreover, the students are provided with the world-class medical infrastructure where they can get the best possible internship session along with all the facilities and the research resources.
6) Cost of Studying/ MBBS Fees Structure
MBBS in Australia fee structure is something that the aspirants always looks forward to since the fee structure is the important point of consideration in the course of admission.
Here below you can check out the complete fee structure of the several Australian medical Universities/Institutions.
|Name of the University||MBBS Fee Structure|
|University of Sydney||$15000 Aus|
|University of Melbourne||$20000 Aus|
|Bond University||$12000 Aus|
|University of Adelaide||$15000 Aus|
|University of Queensland||$14500 Aus|
7) Best Medical Colleges/ Universities
There is no doubt that the Indian candidates get the quite decent choices of the medical Universities in Australia, from which they can choose the one suitable and best for themselves.
If you are confused about the top medical institutions/Universities of Australia, then you should check the below list.
- Monash University
- The University of Sydney
- University of Melbourne
- University of New South Wales
- Austrailan National University
- University of Queensland
- Flinders University
All of the above mentioned medical Universities are the world-class medical Universities of Australia and you can choose either of them for your medical education.
Advantages of Studying MBBS Course in Australia for the Indian Students
Well, here in this section we are going to list out some specific advantages of studying medical course in Australia for the Indian and the other nation’s candidates.
- All the Australian medical institutions and the Universities are known for their world-class medical standard of education and it is the matter of pride for any student to study MBBS from the country.
- Pursuing the medical program from the Australia grant you with the broader career opportunities since the medical degree from Australia is highly regarded around the world.
- As we know that Australia is the well-developed Nation where you can get the modern medical infrastructure along with the many other such resources.
- In Australia, you will get significant opportunities in the domain of medical research and clinical medicine.
Disadvantages of Studying the MBBS Course in Australia
Just like the pros or the advantages there are few cons as well of studying the MBBS from the country and we feel that you must have the awareness of those cons as well.
Here below you can check out the cons that you will come across while studying MBBS in this country.
- The major con or the limitation is of the budget since the country offers highly expensive medical education in the world and if you are Indian student then the cost of MBBS go as high as 6-7 crores which is huge.
- The climate of Australia is quite different in the comparison of India which may cause difficulties to the students at the initial phase of studies.
- There are not much scholarship opportunities available in the country which may be the other critical point of consideration for the students who come from the poor or middle-class financial backgrounds.
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from Australia
Australia is one of the pioneer countries in the world, from where you can ever study medical courses such as the MBBS. It is a matter of great pride and satisfaction to those students who complete their medical education from this particular country, as they are bound to get significant career opportunities in their way ahead.
The medical education from Australia is recognised all around the world irrespective of the institutions from which you have finished off your education.
There are limited numbers of the medical institutions/Universities in Australia and all of them are approved and recognised by the medical council of Australia and are regulated by the same council.
After getting your medical degree from Australia you can either start working as a medical professional or start your own medical practice anywhere in the world,however you would be required to clear the screening exam in case of medical practice.
Frequently Asked Questions- MBBS in Australia
Well, now in this section we are going to discuss some FAQ’S, which are the commonly asked questions by the aspirants.
We would try our best to make those questions clear for yourself so that you can be clear in your head regarding the admission process and all other aspects.
1. What is the Total Cost of MBBS in Australia?
In Australian medical Universities/Institutions, the MBBS fee structure of the MBBS program remains quite similar. The average annual cost of MBBS in the country can go as high as $15000 per annum.
2. How to Take MBBS Admission in Australia for Indian Students?
Well, the candidates can check out the entire admission process for the Australian medical institutions in the above section of the article.
3. Can We Apply for the Work Permit after completion of MBBS in Australia?
Sure, any candidate can choose to work in Australian medical hospitals after the completion of course or can move to the other countries for the same,however, for practice the screening exam will be mandatory.
4. What is the List of MCI Approved Medical Colleges in Australia?
Here is the list of MCI approved colleges/Universities in Australia for your consideration.
- The University of Sydney
- University of Melbourne
- Flinders University
- The University of Newcastle
- Deakin University
- University of Queensland.
5. What Will be the Average Monthly Expenses in Australia Except MBBS Fee?
Well, the average cost of living in Australia along with the other minor expenses can cost you around 1500 Australian dollars per month.
6. Is the Australian Medical Degree Acceptable in India?
Yes, in fact, the medical degree from Australia is considered to be the matter of great honour for the Indian aspirants.
7. Is Australian local language necessary to learn for MBBS in Australia?
Australia’s native language is English therefore candidates just need to have the sound English speaking skills in order to communicate with others.
8. Is Entrance Exam Required to Study Medicine in Australia?
There is no University-based entrance examination in the country,however, for the foreign candidates, the exams like SMAT/UMAT is mandatory.
9. When Does the Academic Year of Australian Medical Universities Start?
It starts from January 1st itself and lasts by the end of the same year.