In the eastern region of the European continent, the country, by name, Ukraine, is specifically located. Being part of Soviet Russia till 1954, it became independent and shares its border with Slovakia, Romania, Hungary, Belarus, Moldova, Poland and Russia. Many top-class Government Medical Universities in Ukraine offer MBBS, MD and other degree courses in medicine. Student aspirants can take up these courses at affordable prices. At the same time, people getting an MBBS degree in Ukraine are eligible to apply for job opportunities in other parts of the globe.
MBBS In Ukraine – Overview
MBBS degree from Ukraine is considered to have recognized standards of global value from top medical universities. Successful graduate doctors passing out from Ukraine Universities are able to practice the medical profession in India. This is owing to the fact that MBBS degree holders possess a globally recognized medical degree. Listed with the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS) and others, the MBBS degree from Ukraine is approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI). Getting a globally recognized MBBS degree at an affordable price is one of the vital factors that has attracted many students from India. After obtaining a medical degree from Ukraine, it is possible for Indian students to continue their career with a license to practice in India.
MBBS in Ukraine:
1) Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students
For Indian students to enrol for an MBBS degree program in Ukraine, the student aspirant can pursue MBBS, if he/she fulfils the following eligibility criteria. They include:
- The candidate should have attained 18 years of age in the year of admission
- He/she should have successfully completed 10+2 examination from a recognized school
- The student aspirant who is under the general category should have scored 50% marks in the 12th standard with subjects like, Chemistry, Physics and Biology
- The student should have cleared the NEET examination to get the admission process successful in Ukraine
- In the case of reserved category of students, the allowable aggregate marks in the 12th standard examination are 40%
- No additional entrance exam or any language proficiency exam is needed to study medicine in Ukraine
2) How To Apply For Medical Courses
How to take admission in Ukraine is a valid question that arises in the minds of a student. Similar to India, the admission procedure to be followed by the student aspirant, is very easy. It is a hassle-free process as it is considered as one of the advantages of gaining admission into an MBBS degree in Ukraine. The student need not pay any capitation fee nor donation, and the process is an unbiased one. The process of admission involves about six steps to get a successful admission by a student to study MBBS degree in Ukraine. They include:
- In the first step, the student should take a firm decision about the choice of the course and the university in which he/she plans to study. After ascertaining this point, the student has to verify the admission requirements of the university. It can vary from one university to another.
- In order to ascertain admission requirements in different universities, it is essential for the applicant to browse the websites of all the recognized medical institutes and gather information with regard to the admission process, fee structure, and requirements of documents.
- Now in this step, the student can start applying after the final selection of the university or medical school in which he/she wants admission. Before applying, the student can always double-check to satisfy the university requirements. Filling an online application and submitting it is the most preferable method of applying for admission.
- For applying online, the following documents are required. They include:
- Scanned copy of 10th standard mark sheet
- Scanned copy of 12th standard mark sheet
- School leaving certificate in the form of scanned copy
- Passport copy
- All the above documents along with the completely filled application have to be sent to the admission’s office of the university. The university after receiving this will review and check whether the candidate has fulfilled all the admission requirements or not. When once they are satisfied with this aspect, they will send the admission letter to the candidate. The normal time taken here is about 10 days.
- Accordingly, the student will receive the admission letter /invitation letter from the university admission’s office to study MBBS degree in their university. The student has to pay the desired fees to the admission’s office.
- Now the student aspirant will have to apply for the student visa after satisfying the Indian embassy requirements.
- The student, after getting his/her student visa, will start finalizing travel arrangements and inform the proposed arrival date at Ukraine airport. However, it is vital to note that the student can either opt for assistance from an admission consultant or apply on his/her own. There is no compulsion involved in it. Here, the student has to proceed by following all the steps involved in the admission process with determination. This can be achieved successfully by an aspiring student without any difficulty.
3) Documents Requirement For Admission in Medical Schools
The final documents required for submission after reaching Ukraine to study MBBS include:
- Original passport with a minimum validity of 18 months.
- Mark sheet and 10th standard passing certificate.
- 12th standard passing certificate and the mark sheet.
- English translated Birth Certificate and notarized.
- Ten numbers of photographs of size 4.5 X 3.5 CMS with seventy per cent face.
- Invitation letter officially issued from the respective Medical University.
- Test reports of HIV.
- Copies of authorization of all archives issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.
- From the Embassy of Ukraine, legalization of all the documents
- Visa fees
- Bank receipt of University-related to first-year payment of tuition fees. (asked by some universities)
4) Course Duration For Studying Medicine
The course duration of MBBS in Ukraine is 5.8 years. The students studying MBBS degree in Ukraine has to undergo 5.8 years of clinical training or observership. Thereafter, the student can return to India and take up screening test or do his/her internship in India. Successful MBBS degree holders can also prefer to write any other examination like PLAB or USMLE.
During the first three years of MBBS course in Ukraine, the student has to undergo a non-clinical phase of studies. Thereafter, the student will focus his/her studies in the development of clinical skills combined with theoretical knowledge about medicine. During the last three years, the student will have regular exposure to hospital duties to gain practical and theoretical aspects of treatment procedures. The senior doctors who work in these hospitals act as teachers and provide the student with the desired theoretical knowledge.
From 1st September, the academic year of MBBS course commences and ends in February. Every year, the course duration starting from 1st year to 6th year is divided into two semesters. In total, the entire MBBS course has 12 semesters.
5) Cost of Studying/ MBBS Fee Structure
The following things are taken into consideration while checking the fee requirements to study MBBS in Ukraine. For assessing the minimum budget needed to complete MBBS degree in Ukraine are, tuition fees, one-time charges payable to the university in the first year of study, hostel fees, charges for the mess, cost of travel from Ukraine and vice versa once every year, medical insurance and screening test for coaching at the university campus by the Indian doctors. Based on all these factors, the overall budget required to complete the first year of MBBS study in Ukraine includes:
- Tuition fees + hostel fees + one-time charges = US $ 6950 or INR 4, 86,500.
- Fees for the Mess = US $ 950 0r INR 66,500.
- Travel cost from Delhi to the university and vice versa = Approx. INR 35,000/-
- Screening test for coaching = INR 25,000 for 1st year. The total amount payable is INR 1,25,000.
- Total expenses to be incurred for 1st year MBBS= INR 6,13,000.
- In a similar way the budget is calculated for 2nd to 6th year and onwards, is = INR 4,41,600, per year.
- A grand total of expenses to complete MBBS course in Bukovinain State Medical University = INR 28, 21,000/-. The expenses given are indicative and can vary from university to university.
- The average monthly expenditure for studying MBBS degree in Ukraine is that the student has to pay up 10,000 INR per month for accommodation, for food, he/she has to pay up 8,000 INR monthly.
6) Best Medical Colleges/ Universities
Some of the top medical/university colleges, which are approved by MCI for MBBS study in Ukraine are given below:
- Kyiv Medical University of UAFM
- Lugansk State Medical University
- Dnepropetrovsk State Medical Academy
- O.O. Bogomolets National Medical University
- Kharkiv National Medical University
- VN Karazin Kharkiv National University
- Zaporozhye State Medical University.
Advantages of Studying MBBS Course in Ukraine for Indian Students
Indian students who take up MBBS course in Ukraine can find the following advantages. They include:
- In Ukraine, students are able to gain access to quality education, which is very high and affordable when compared to that of other countries in Europe.
- Students seeking admission to MBBS need not clear any entrance examination like IELTS, TOEFL and others in Ukraine.
- In Ukraine, all the medical universities and colleges are recognized by UNESCO, WHO. They are also recognized by other medical organizations spread across the globe.
- Students are eligible to practice the medical profession when once they complete their MBBS degree from Ukraine.
- English is the medium of instruction for studying MBBS in Ukraine.
- Facilities like laundry, internet, TV, heating system are provided to all the students.
- Many fitness clubs, clubs for sports and other activity centres including swimming pools are available where students can do work outs and keep themselves healthy. These clubs are provided to them in the college campuses in Ukraine.
- All the medical colleges in Ukraine are equipped with library facilities with huge volumes of books and materials for reading, which can be utilized by the students, effectively.
- International exchange of programs, conferences, and other projects related to medical science in various universities of international fame will enable students to participate and gain more knowledge about medical sciences. This is considered as a part of the curriculum while studying MBBS in Ukraine.
- Students are offered discounts to travel across the country during their leisure time.
- Students after completing their MBBs degree from a medical university in Ukraine have easy access to job opportunities in India. This is owing to the fact that the MBBS degree obtained from the University in Ukraine is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
- Students can find that the technology and infrastructure employed in medical colleges in Ukraine are highly sophisticated and excellent.
- Embassy of India is located in Kyiv, Ukraine, and the ambassador of India in Ukraine often makes a visit to all the medical universities where Indian students are studying. In this way, the Indian embassy in Ukraine is looking after the welfare of students doing their medical degree.
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS Course in Ukraine
For students of Indian origin, studying MBBS in Ukraine has been considered as the first and foremost choice in recent years. With this, students will not only have several advantages while studying MBBS but at the same time, they come across certain disadvantages. Here, most of the disadvantages occur since the student will not be able to adjust to the place. Here, are the highlights of disadvantages that the student might face while studying MBBS in Ukraine. They are:
- Some students find it difficult to adjust to the cold climate or conditions of weather. For about 3 to 4 months, the temperature will fall below zero degrees centigrade. However, the student will not have any issues of such cold weather when he/she is studying inside a building or travelling in a car or a bus. This is owing to the fact that all the buildings are heated, using a central heating system.
- As a part of the curriculum, students studying MBBS degree are taught the local language, which is either Ukrainian or Russian. This will assist them to manage their day to day life and also at the time of visits to the hospital. This will also enable them to interact with the patients as well.
- The MBBS course duration in Ukraine is 5.8 years, which is longer in comparison to other countries like, Kyrgyzstan, Bangladesh and Kazakhstan.
- It is essential for the student community from India to do research and get in touch with consultancy firms who have a direct tie up with the universities.
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from Ukraine
In Ukraine, paid internship and employment opportunities are available. This is possible for MD physician students in Ukraine. After obtaining an MBBS degree successfully from Ukraine, there is a good opportunity for MBBS graduates to get job offers in any hospital or clinic with an excellent salary package. It is also possible for MBBS graduates to pursue their career in several other European destinations. Successful Indian medical graduates from Ukraine can come back to India and apply for FMGE or the screening test conducted by MCI. Medical graduates from Ukraine can prepare and pass this test in India. Thereafter, they can get a registration number from the MCI for practising in India. Other options like studying further for PG course in Ukraine is also possible. It is also possible for Indian Medical students to work part-time to cover up their daily expenses. This will help them to earn US$ 500 per month while studying MBBS degree in Ukraine.